Stowmarket White Horsehistorical era: Victorian / Edwardian
opened 1633 circa
11-13 Station Rd
grid reference TM 049 587Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 18/09/2017
The White Horse was built in the 15th or 16th century; it is also be listed in Stowupland St.
It was owned by Charles Wood's Bacton brewery from 1868-85.
The pub closed in 1903 at a time when licenses were being reduced. It was owned by Greene King at the time; they'd bought it in 1895.
Today the building is used as an opticians and dental surgery.
It's shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information by Neil Langridge)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.