opened 1645 circa
closed March 6th, 1958
last owner Cobbold's
grid reference TM 048 586
View in Google Earth
last updated 20/07/2015
There used to be a date on the wall of the building "1461"
In 1874 Ryall provided carrier services from pub to Bury on Mon, Wed & Fri and to Ipswich on Tue & Fri.
Closed in 1958, when the license was transferred to the Woodbridge Warwick (now George).
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** in Feb 1880 states that : Died on the 14th at the Rose Inn, Sarah May, the daughter of James and Harriet Dawes, aged 4 years 8 months.
Also listed at Cheapside in 1855 - 1900
First recorded mention of The Rose in 1645 when it was owned by Robert Brasier.
Bought by Cobbold brewery in 1862 for £960
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)