grid reference TM 047 586Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 20/04/2017
Stowmarket Red Lionhistorical era: Victorian / Edwardian
5 Tavern St
The view (in the old picture) is looking towards the Market Place.
The premises are now used as a Dentist's surgery. The building dates from the early 17th century.
It was owned in the 1860s/70s by Mary Bridges who also owned the carriage works next door.
Later it was owned by Steward & Pattison brewery and run by the Peart family, from about 1890 until its closure in 1910.
It's shown as Refreshment Rooms in 1916.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)