Stowmarket King's Arms
Prentice Rd, IP14 ??
grid reference TM 051 588
opened 1850 circa
(details under review)
View in Google Earth
Local licensing authority for Stowmarket is Mid Suffolk
last updated 30/09/2014
Opened soon after an earlier pub of same name closed in Ipswich St. Closed May 6th, 1958. Re-opened at the beginning of December 2009 after 51 year closure.
The pub now has three hand-pumps and a further four or five ales are available on gravity from barrels behind the bar. Beers are mainly from East Anglia, though some are sourced from other regions.
The first pub beer festival was held in September 2010; we hope its success will lead to more.
The name by which The Kings Arms came to be unofficially known was “The Two Sisters” derived from Mabel Harriett Southgate and Jessie Hilda Taylor nee Beaumont who ran the place in the first half of 20th century. Closed 1958.
Listed historically in Stowupland.
(information supplied from Neil Langridge)
Beer served through handpulls
Beer served direct from the barrel by gravity
Real draught cider available
Function room available to hire
Oversized, lined glasses in regular use
Dogs are welcome
Children are welcome
Railway station within about a mile (see public transport tab for details)
WiFi available (a charge may apply)
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
Outside shelter for smokers
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)