Stowmarket Hop Pole
opened 1861 circa
last updated 11/04/2015
This was located in Timber Green [to the left of the Station] and originally listed in Stowupland parish.
Locally known as the Poor Man's Hotel - workmen from outside Stow would stay there during the week. It was in the same building as Lankester and Webb's bonded warehouse (located to far right of building).
In 1874 carrier services to Drinkstone on Thu were provided by Roe and to Rattleden on Thu were provided by Crick.
Used as residential housing after closure until demolition in April 1972.
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post** on Dec-05 in 1882 when Mr Foster was the landlord states that:
William Hoddy, Hitcham, labourer, was committed for trial for the theft of £14 8s that he had stolen from his father, Robert. William, while in the Stowmarket Hop Pole, rather foolishly challanged the landlords son, Robert Henry Foster to a £5 bet that he could show him £10 in gold coin.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)