Stowmarket Fox & Hounds
previously known as Crown
closed 1917 (Feb)
14 Bury St
grid reference TM 048 587
View in Google Earth
last updated 07/11/2014
Also listed at Bury Rd
Originally called the Crown and first mention of an inn of that name was back in 1628. Name changed to Fox & Hounds before 1768.
Demolished for retail development and was on the site of what was the CoOp in Bury Street and is now occupied by Tall Orders coffeee shop and St Elizabeths Hospice charity shop.
Another pub called the Crown opened in 1855 and can still be visited today.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)