Stowmarket Blue Posts
closed April 30th, 1941
last owner Greene King
4 Station Rd
grid reference TM 049 587
View in Google Earth
last updated 22/07/2015
Originally a liquor store owned by James Diaper from about 1839. In 1861 it was sold to Thomas & Jubal Raffe who were journeymen millers and corn merchants. In 1878 the trustees for Thomas Raffe's estate applied for an on-license and then sold the premises to Alexander Clutterbuck (Stowmarket Brewery). In 1882 it was acquired by Edward Greene.
A report in the Bury & Norfolk Post & Suffolk Herald** on 26 Aug in 1884 states that :
Mr E. GREENE applied successfully to extend the hour of closing of the Blue Posts, Stowmarket, from 10 to 11 o'clock.
License surrendered in April 1941; the building was used as a hospital during the War.
This pub had a 6 day licence.
There is a very old photo (circa 1863) which shows Station road decorated for the Prince Of Wales marriage that year. From the 1882 it was owned by Greene King [their Stowmarket Store being over the road, in the old Stevens brewery building]. In the 1920s The Ancient Order Of Buffaloes met there on a Thursday Evening.
The last landlord was an Alexander Davis who was there from about 1939.
It closed in 1941. Afterwards it was a shop selling craft and kitchen items until about 2002 since when it has been in residential use.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)
(some old PO information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Blue posts were often used as an easy means of building identification before street numbering systems became widespread in usage during the 18th cent.