previously known as Blue Bell
18 Bury Rd
grid reference TM 047 591
View in Google Earth
last updated 22/07/2015
Built by James Woods, owner of Suffolk Iron Works in Bury St. After he was bankrupted it had became a pub by 1838.
An 18th century pub of the same name was located somewhere in Bury St.
Owned by local brewer William Golland Ranson from 1874 to 1896, then sold to Tollemache & Co. Closed in 1919.
1879 Kelly's directory lists the Bell in Ipswich Street, but 1881 census lists the same landlord at the Bell, Bury Rd.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)