18 Stowupland St
grid reference TM 049 587
View in Google Earth
last updated 19/07/2015
"4d could get a pie, a pint and a thick ear at The Barge"
[a local saying in 1900]
Located very close to Ipswich Navigation (river Gipping) which opened in 1793.
Now Ladies' hairdresser.
(information supplied from Neil Langridge)
Owned by John Aldrich before 1805. After 1805 owned by John Cobbold's brewery.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 2nd April in 1853 states that :
To be let, the Barge, Stowmarket. Apply to Merrs. COBBOLD, Brook St, Ipswich.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information by Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)