Stoke by Clare Georgehistorical era: Victorian / Edwardian
grid reference TL 741 435Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 31/08/2016
The inn is known to date back to before 1793, when it was reported in the Bury & Norwich Post as being for sale.
Details of pub premises belonging to William Ward & Son sold, along with the brewery, by auction 23 January 1894*** - taken from the original source of documentation at Suffolk Record Office:
Stoke-by-Clare : The George
Situated in the centre of the village, not far from railway station.
On the First Floor: 3 Rooms and a Club Room.
On the Ground Floor: Fitted Bar, Tap Room, Kitchen and Cellar.
Large Yard with folding gates; containing good Stabling, Coach-house, Pig-stye and Garden. Also an adjoining Shoemakers.
Let to Mr. Mitson who has occupied the premises for about 38 years.
It was a F C Christmas & Co brewery pub at the time of closure. Its closure date coincides with the acquisition of the Christmas brewery by Greene King in 1918.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(***Original source of documentation transcribed by Graham Nunn)