closed after 1912
grid reference TM 090 485
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 24/09/2015
The beerhouse is shown on the 1882 OS map but not on the 1904 sheet or subsequent editions, although it is listed in the 1911 census.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)
some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
A griffin is a fabulous monster - half eagle and half lion - popular in heraldry and often spelt griffon or gryphon.