Saxmundham Coach & Horses
grid reference TM 386 632
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 19/07/2015
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post** on Mar-28 in 1868 when Mary Ann Backhouse was the landlady states that:
Mary the wife of the landlord served two labourers on the evening of an armed robbery. This evidence with other details that came to light resulted in the two accused being acquitted.
Closed July 5th 1913, as part of a scheme to reduce the number of alcohol licenses. Now demolished, it stood where the Post Office used to be (between 1953 and 1991), at the right-hand end of the modern Post office building.
Shown here on the 1884 OS map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Closure date from Blything licensing records.
Coach & horses became a means of transport for many travellers during the 17th and 18th cent. especially for those who could not afford their own vehicle. As regular services evolved, they soon encouraged many inns enroute to become natural stopping points for refreshments - with journeys broken into stages (about 8 miles) - and many eventually provided stabling to enable regular changes of horses. Their demise started in 1840s with the building of the railway network.