St Cross South Elmham Fox & Hounds
closed between 1957 and 1973?
grid reference TM 297 843
View in Google Earth
last updated 19/07/2015
The 1921 OS map shows the inn at this location. It appears on OS maps at least as late as 1957 but seems to have gone by the 1973 sheet, so presumably closed between those dates.
It seems probable that the building in the modern photographs (Fox Cottage) was actually the pub. The building in the foreground of the old photograph is called Tally-Ho Cottage, but the pub sign visible in the picture appears to actually belong to (the now) Fox Cottage, which is barely visible in the old photo. If you can clarify this or have any more information, please let us know.
This seems to be confirmed by the 1884 OS map, which appears to show the Fox & Hounds as the northern-most of the two buildings.
Also listed as being in "South Elmham St George"
The 1871 census records both John Bell (Farmer) and Edgar Sillett (Dealer), neither are shown as publicans.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)