closed 1942,43 or 46
last owner Lacon's
grid reference TM 162 682
View in Google Earth
last updated 19/07/2015
The licensing records show that in 1942 or 43, the license was "Suspended for duration" (of the war). It seems that the pub probably never re-opened; the license was surrendered on May 3rd 1946.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 03 Jun in 1837 stated that Robert Koipe COBBOLD of the Eye Brewery was retiring from business & was looking to sell various Inns & Public Houses including the Swan Rishangles.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Closure date from Hartismere licensing records.