grid reference TM 189 712
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Mid-Anglia branch.
last updated 19/07/2015
Reported at Crown St in 1861 census and at Horham Rd. in 1881 census.
The Eye licensing record seems to indicate that the pub closed in 1967, though the handwriting is so bad this was not 100% certain. However, a caller to BBC Radio Suffolk's Lesley Dolphin programme confirmed that it actually shut in 1966.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on October 20th in 1883 when Walter Dearing was the landlord states that :
Frederick Rose, labourer, of Redlingfield, was found guilty of being drunk and disorderly on licensed premises and refusing to quit when requested by the landlord Walter Dearing.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)