Redgrave Fox & Hounds
previously known as Fox
grid reference TM 044 779
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
last updated 19/07/2015
Now residential: Fox House.
Having examined the Hartismere licensing records from 1923 to 1962 and found no trace of this pub, we conclude it must have closed before 1923. This is confirmed by the 1909 Rates book which lists the building as "former Fox & Hounds".
Shown at this location on the 1886 OS map.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** of December 1860 states that :
A special session was held at the Hartismere Petty Sessions on the 4th December 1860 where an interim certificate was endorsed upon the license for the Redgrave Fox and Hounds in favour of Samuel Smith. The requisite notices not having been given by the former occupier to complete the transfer.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony, Kim or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)