Raydon Foxhistorical era: mid 20th century
last owner Ind Coope
grid reference TM 034 380Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 28/03/2016
Closure date from Orwell licensing records.
An extract from a report in the Suffolk Chronicle** on Apr-10 in 1813 states that :
Sale by Auction on 29 April 1813(see full extract here)
Lot 2. That well known Inn, called The Fox, at Raydon. containing a good kitchen, wash house, dairy, 2 parlours, 4 good chambers, bar, liquer room and capital cellar for 14 barrels, cow house, stable, hay house,, garden, and orchard and paddock in the occupation of Mr James BROWNING.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** of January 1860 states that :
Policeman Brooke was on his beat between the hours of 12 and one o'clock when he heard a noise coming from The Fox, Reydon and in going in found the kitchen and bar full of labouring men. He also saw Henry Potter, the landlord, drawing beer for the men. When told by Policeman Brooke that he was serving after time Potter explained he was drawing beer for the men to take home as they refuse to leave without carrying something away with them. The policeman had already cautioned Potter about keeping his house open during Divine Service. Potter was found guilty and fined 10s with costs.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)