Pin Mill Almahistorical era: Victorian or Edwardian
closed between 1904 and 1905
Pin Mill Rd
grid reference TM 206 379Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
Pin Mill is part of the Chelmondiston parish
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 27/03/2016
Now rented out as a holiday cottage. The pub appears on OS maps at least as late as 1904, but has gone by the 1926 sheet. The 1910 Rates book records it as "Alma House" and a photograph of 1905 shows a sign with that name, so evidently it had closed by then.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 17 Oct in 1868 states that :
Auction of the Alma Inn, with good Grocer's Shop attached, Chelmondiston, near Pin Mill, in the occupation of Mr POWELL, at the annual rent of £48 10s Freehold.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 26 May in 1883 states that :
Auction of the Alma Inn, Chelmondiston, a full-licenced Public House having a tap. bar & club-rooms, two parlours, three bed-rooms, kitchen, out-houses & garden; let to Messrs Bridges & Co Limited, whose tenancy expires 11th October next, at £12 per annum.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
The Alma is a river on the Crimea peninsular in the Ukraine. The first battle of the Crimea war between Russian soldiers and a successful, but unusually united, combined British and French force was fought here on the 20th September 1854. The Russian counter-attack one month later was at Balaclava which is today better remembered for one of the British cavalry's most famous heroic disasters.