Otley White Horse
grid reference TM 208 558Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 27/03/2016
We are most grateful to Steve Podd who has sent us the following information:
As a pub it belonged to the Tollemache brewery; the land was in the ownership of the Tollemache family by 1724. The first confirmed mention of it as a pub is in the Ipswich Journal of 1st and 8th October 1726. (Thanks to Suffolk CAMRA for this reference). It was said to have closed c.1890, but it appears that the closure may have been earlier - it is not shown as a pub on the first edition OS map of 1887, and is not mentioned as a pub in the 1875 or 1879 directories, or in the 1881 census. (It was still a pub in the 1871 census). It was converted into a pair of cottages before the end of the 19th century, and the Tollemaches sold it in the early years of the 20th. It was converted back into a single dwelling in 1985 and significantly extended in 1991. Now tiled, bills exist in the Tollemache archive for thatching work in 1801 and 1810. Current ‘White Horse Cottage’.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)