Orford White Hart
grid reference TM 421 499
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 16/04/2016
Demolished. A former posting house & mail contractor.
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the White Hart's license was issued in 1658.
The license was allowed to lapse on December 31st 1910.
A paperback book published in 1969, called "Inns of the Suffolk Coast" by Leonard P Thompson*** contains the following description:
A deed of settlement dated 4th October, 1658 does not mention the property as an inn. In 1795, it was occupied by Thomas Moore & owned by William Harper of Trimley St Martin, from whom it passed to Rands James of Sudbourne for £340. A mortgage document of 30th March, 1795 names Rand James, Innkeeper and Elizabeth, his wife and William Goodman of Woodbridge, Gentleman. It refers to a Messuage or tenement, public house or inn... known by the name of the White Hart, late in the occupation of Thomas Moore. On 3rd February, 1796, Rands James leased the property for a year to Richard Butcher, "Wallman" & John Carthew, Gentleman of Woodbridge, a trustee.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Dec 1855 states :Free from brewer or spirit merchant, the White Hart Inn, Orford, to be let for a term of years, with immediate possession. The compact and well frequented, entirely free house, with stables, brewing fixings, and other conveniences. The present occupier is relinquishing in consequence of having engaged another business requiring his whole attention. Particulars may be had on application to John Barber, White Hart, Orford.
…from a conveyance of 8th February, 1873, the White Hart passed to Charles Ward for £350, who in 1902, sold the property to Frederick Henry Payne for £2,300. An indenture of 25th May, 1912 refers to the premises as having recently been known and occupied as a public house or inn.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic book information from Bob Mitchell)
Closure date from Woodbridge licensling records.