Oakley Green Man
Lower Oakley Rd
grid reference TM 165 779
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
Oakley is part of the Brome and Oakley parish
last updated 18/07/2015
The building dates from the 16th and 17th centuries.
Closure date unknown, but the most recent Eye licensing records we've seen show it still open at least as late as 1967.
In 1865 & 1888 it was listed at the Street.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
A Green Man is a sculpture, drawing, or other representation of a face surrounded by or made from leaves. Also frequently found on carvings in churches and other buildings (both secular and ecclesiastical).