previously known as: Victoria Bars?, Greyhound, Carltonhistorical era: late 20th century
grid reference TL 643 633Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 28/08/2015
According to the Newmarket Shops website, the Greyhound Inn was bought by King Charles II from the Piches family in 1667. It was rebuilt in 1986 as the Hotel Victoria and Renamed the Carlton between 1936 and 1946.
Greyhound is listed as a Posting Inn in 1844
Demolished in May 1977, the site is now occupied by Boots chemist shop.
A report in the Bury & Norfolk Post & Suffolk Herald** on 07 Aug in 1883 states that :
The Newmarket Greyhound Hotel, for so many years in the hands of the JARVIS family, has been sold to a well-known Cricklewood hotel keeper.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)