Needham Market Queen's Head
previously known as White Lion, Ship, Queens Head
opened 15th Cent
11-15 Hawksmill St
grid reference TM 087 552
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 02/09/2015
Established before 1500 with a fine inglenook fireplace, bread oven and bressumer beam.
Now a group of private residences.
Owned by several generations of people called William Colchester one of whom had a wife, Agnes, who was licensed as a brewer and ale seller from 1531 until 1567 when it was probably known as the White Lion (heraldic emblem of Duke of Norfolk). In 1588 it was known as Jordans (after Thomas Jordan and family). In 1675 it was sold to Robert Cuthbert. By 1716 it was called the Ship. Sometime later it became the Queens Head. In 1803 John Cobbold bough the inn. For a short while during Napoleonic war it became the home of the "Brotherly Love Society".
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)
(information from book "Needham Market Pubs" by Desmond and Shelagh Herring)