Needham Market King's Headhistorical era: mid 20th century
62 High St
grid reference TM 088 550Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 27/05/2016
The building dates from the late 16th century.
In 1720 John Moore's will listed a kitchen, parlour, old parlour, brewery, buttery, dining room, 6 bed chambers and buttery and outside yard with 8 cows, 4 hogs and mare. Bought by Thomas Emmerson in 1737. Bought by Messrs Cobbold of Cliff brewery in 1829. The Pightle are domestic buildings standing at the rear of what was the 'Kings Head' public house until the early years of the twentieth century. Cobbolds sold the pub to Ernie Shepherd who opened a garage & cycle shop (later called Tudor Rose Garage). Now used as two shops.
(information from book "Needham Market Pubs" by Desmond and Shelagh Herring)
A report in the Suffolk Chronicle** on 20th March, 1813 announced the death of Mr GRUB who formerly kept this inn.
Florence Warner subsequently ran an off-license at 40 High St.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)