Monks Eleigh Lion
also traded as as: Red Lionhistorical era: mid 20th century
closed between 1958 and 1974?
grid reference TL 971 477Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 24/03/2016
The pub is shown on OS maps at least as late as 1958, but by 1974 it's shown as "Paddock Hall", so presumably closed some time between those dates.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Nov 1825 states :
Died on the 16th November 1825, Mrs Martha Flynn, of the Lion, Monks Eleigh, wife of the late James Flynn, whose death was announced on the 22nd October 1825, leaving five babies to lament their loss.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Dec 1825 states :
Thomas Smith Kingsbury, having taken the Lion Inn, Monks Eleigh, most respectfully solicits the patronage of commercial gentlemen, the inhabitants of Monks Eleigh, and its vicinity, and the public at large, assuring them that every attention will be paid to their comfort, connected to this department of an established Inn. Note. Well aired beds, and excellent stabling.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in March 1840 states :
To be let, the old established free public house, called the Lion Inn, Monks Eleigh, with excellent brewery and cellarage; also, adjoining, a good malt office, 17 coombs steeps, suitable outbuildings, with about 1 acre of productive pasture land. There being an excellent road and home trade to the house, and a very considerable retail trade carried on in the malting business.
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post** on Oct-30 in 1866 when George Manistre was the landlord states that :
William Radcliff was charged with stealing a stone bottle from the Red Lion. It was clear to all that at the time of the robbery Radcliff was "so drunk as not know what he was about. The jury aquitted the prisoner.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jan 1870 states that :
By the instructions of Mr George R Hawkins (who is giving up the business through ill health), to be sold by auction, upon the premises, at the Lion Inn, Monks Eleigh, the neat and excellent household furniture, comprising in the lower rooms, hollow seated and other chairs, capital large mahogany dining table with four shifting leaves, Pembroke and other tables, eight day dial, carpets, hearth rugs, fenders and irons, glass, china, earthenware etc.. The bedroom furniture consists of 5 excellent featherbeds, bolsters and pillows, palliasses, mattresses, sheets, blankets, counterpanes, dressing glasses, toilet tables, wash stands and ware, carpets, etc.. The stock in trade includes several dozens of fine old port, sherry and champagne, cask of pale brandy, several gallons of gin, rum and whisky, four pull beer engines, nearly new, bar fittings, etc.. In the malting and yard, malt mill screen, sacks, shovels, etc., light spring dog cart, gig bodies, sash windows, panelled doors, etc., also about 17 tons of prime hay, in a meadow on the Brent Eleigh road. In consequence of the ill health of Mr Hawkin the above old established and full licensed Inn (which is doing good business), with yard, stables, coach houses, large garden, and capital malt office (15 coombs steep), and meadow and orchard adjoining, will be let with immediate possession.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)