Mendlesham Royal Oak
previously known as Oak
closed January 3rd, 1955
last owner Cobbold's
grid reference TM 105 658
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
last updated 18/07/2015
The building dates from the 17th century or earlier. It used to be used as the local courthouse as well as being a pub.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** in Feb 1860 states that : The death was announced on the 13 February 1851 of Mr G F Durham aged 42 years, landlord of the Royal Oak, Mendlesham.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(Closure date from Hartismere licensing records)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)