Lowestoft Suffolk Hotel
61 London Rd North
grid reference TM 548 929
View in Google Earth
last updated 18/07/2015
Demolished 1972 for modern development.
(Originally listed as opening in 1873, but landlord entries for Suffolk are now listed from 1839.)
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Feb 1875 states :
The Old Suffolk Hotel: This formerly much frequented and excellently conducted place of resort has just been disposed of by Messrs. Mercer and Peacock, to Mr J Nelson, for £90, the entire building to be cleared away in 14 days.(This could be a reference to an earlier build and may be linked to the opening (or reopening) of 1873?)
Listed at Southend in 1839.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 20 May in 1873 states that :
Mr R CLARK of the Suffolk Hotel, Lowestoft, supplied dinner to 100 men & women with an average age of 77. Joints, hot vegetables & plum-pudding were served.
In 1874 an omnibus was operating from here daily to Yarmouth departing at 9am and returning from the Barge Inn at 5pm.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jan 1875 states :
Samuel Bunnett, 25, of Cantley, a fisherman, pleaded guilty to having been drunk and riotous, and also having assaulted Samuel Cordell, barman at the Suffolk Hotel. He was fined 25s, including costs.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 23 Mar in 1875 states that :
Married, on 16 Mar 1875, Harry Willmott of Walthamstow to Susan Sophia, eldest daughter of Mr R. CLARK, proprietor of the Suffolk Hotel, Lowestoft.
In 1912 (and earlier) listed as a family & commercial hotel (opposite railway station).
Historically listed at London Rd, Lowestoft.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)