Scroll through other Lowestoft closed premises
The Lion was at the corner of the London Road and Colville Road (in Kirkley). Colville Road is now known as Clifton Road. In census returns the street address is shown first as 84 London Road and then 201 London Road. (details from Jason Austin)
The space is blank on the 1884 OS map, so it must have been built after that date. The first reference we have is in 1891, suggesting it was built between those dates. None of the available maps show the building as a pub, though most are insufficiently detailed so no dates can be inferred from them.
Our photograph shows the building currently on the Lion's site. Whether this is the original building or a replacement isn't clear. If you know one way or the other, please let us know.
last updated 02/09/2014
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 & 1901 census from Jason Austin)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)