Linstead Parva Greyhoundhistorical era: mid 20th century
closed March 4th, 1955
grid reference TM 329 781Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 17/07/2015
Closed in 1955 when the last tenant left; Lacon's decided that the isolated location and lack of people living nearby didn't make it worth continuing with.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Dec 1820 states :
To be sold by auction, at the King's Arms, Halesworth, on the 17th January 1821, as part of a large sale of Independent Inns and Public House, of established trade, in Suffolk, Lot 11., the Greyhound, public house at Linstead. All the houses for sale were described as being substantially brick built, in excellent repair, extremely well accustomed, possessing every convenience for carrying on extensive trades, and are subjected to trifling outgoings.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on Apr-13 in 1878 when John & Caroline Adams were the landlord and landlady states that :
The Adams were witnesses in a case of hare coursing, where three men were found guilty and sentenced to five years penal servitude.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)