closed between 1911 and 1926?
grid reference TL 954 364
View in Google Earth
last updated 03/12/2013
The pub is shown on OS maps at least as late as 1905, but has gone by the 1926 sheet, so presumably it closed between 1911 (last directory entry found) and 1926.
The current building on site is not the Plough, but a later replacement.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 22 Jun in 1859 states that :
"The Plough Beer-House, Leavenheath, for sale, today, the very good household furniture, Implements of trade, out-door effects, 6 capital Shotes, Pony, capital pony cart, and other effects of Mr Jonathan WATTS, who has relinquished the business"
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on Apr-08 in 1876 when Daniel Godding was the landlord states that :
"Emily Hynard, wife of James, was fond of Old Ale, gin, singing and more importantly men. After a long winters afternoon in the Plough she was walked home by William Davey. On the journey home he was alledged to have attempted to ravish her. A week later she informed the authorities and Davey was arressted and tried for attempted rape. The case fell apart when it was discovered that Hynard had asked for money from Davey to drop the case. The case was dismissed."
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)