Laxfield General Wolfe
closed April 16th, 1959
last owner Lacon's
grid reference TM 294 723
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 30/04/2016
Built late 16th or early 17th century, probably as a farmhouse.
Although 1952 has been quoted as a closure date, the Hoxne licensing records show it to have closed in 1959.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Dec 1820 states : To be sold by auction, at the King's Arms, Halesworth, on the 17th January 1820, as part of a large sale of Independent Inns and Public House, of established trade, in Suffolk, Lot 10., the General Wolfe, public house at Laxfield All the houses for sale were described as being substantially brick built, in excellent repair, extremely well accustomed, possessing every convenience for carrying on extensive trades, and are subjected to trifling outgoings.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Nov 1855 states : Died on the 13th November 1855, at Norwich Hospital, aged 59; Mr Robert Giles, for many years the landlord of the General Wolfe, Laxfield.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from Hoxne licensing records.
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)