Woodbridge Brickmakers Arms (Seckford St)
previously known as West End Retreat, Half Way House
closed July 16th, 1909
77 Seckford St
grid reference TM 264 491
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 29/03/2016
Now a private residence. Built late 18th century.
Reportedly stood "opposite the vicarage"; our photo and map location show what we think was the pub - if you can confirm or refute this, please let us know.
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Brickmakers Arms' beerhouse license was issued in 1863. License renewal was refused in 1909.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on Oct-23 in 1875 when Jacob Button was the landlord of Brickmaker's Arms states that:
Button appealed against an earlier conviction for serving beer during prohibited hours. The case was upheld.
An earlier Brickmakers Arms's beerhouse was located nearby at Drybridge Hill corner.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Closure date from Woodbridge licensing records.