Lakenheath High Bridge House

historical era: mid 20th century

closed 1960

High Bridge Gravel Rd

grid reference TL 702 833

Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth

CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.

last updated 17/07/2015

Located at TL703834. Situated at bridge crossing old drainage canal, now dried out itself by the building of bigger cut-off channel to protect fens in 1960's. Building demolished, very little evidence remains. Tried to buy beer here as a 14 year old but was refused! Guess at closure around 1960, photos exist showing it to be a Bullards house.

(Details supplied by Chris Curtis)

Shown here on the 1900 OS map

on old OS map

A report in the Bury & Norwich Post** on Apr-24 in 1900 states that at a public auction held at the Bull Hotel the High Bridge free public house was submitted for public competion and was knocked down to the Star Brewery Co.

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)

(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)

(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)