closed between 1966 and 1976?
14? Anchor La
grid reference TL 712 828
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 17/07/2015
Building is still standing at TL712828.
The pub is shown on OS maps as late as 1966 but seems to have gone by the 1976 sheet (and subsequent issues) so presumably closed between those dates.
Shown (unfortunately ambiguously) on the 1882 OS map. The 1905 sheet in the Suffolk Record Office makes it clear that it's in the building directly at the right-apex of the red oval, though it's not certain if it was the dwelling fronting the road or one of those perpendicular to it, though the perpendicular one seems most probable from the map. If you can confirm or refute this, please let us know.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 25 May in 1855 states that :
W.W.WICKES Esq. proprietor of the Thetford Brewery (is auctioning) 10 public houses including:
The Anchor, Lakenheath, occupied by Mrs HORREX
Reported at 12 Anchor Lane in 1871 & 1881 censuses.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)