Kentford Fox & Ball
also traded as as: Fox & Bull, Bull, Black Bullhistorical era: mid 20th century
closed between 1922 and 1958?
grid reference TL 707 667Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 19/04/2016
The pub is shown on the 1903 OS map but seems to have gone by the 1958 sheet, so probably closed between 1922 (last directory entry found) and 1958.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on Feb-13 in 1883 when Caroline Norman was the landlady states that :
Thomas Martin a saw sharpener was charged with manslaughter of Ann Jameson. The couple had been seen in the Lamb in Newmarket between 9am and 10am. Caroline Norman of the Fox and Ball served them with 3 pints between 11am and 6pm. Soon afterwards Issac Filby of the Cock separated them and took away their beer. They left and a little later Martin returned for brandy to revive her, she died and he was charged. No evidence was found of violence and Martin was acquitted.
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post*** on 25 Feb in 1801 states that :
Auction of All the Freehold Messuage or Public House, with suitable offices & stables (largely rebuilt) called the Black Bull, in Kentford, with 1 acre, more or less - being now in the occupation of Mr James BREWSTER, tenant-at-will. Apply to Mr Richard RISBROOK, Kentford.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)