Kedington Bellhistorical era: mid 20th century
closed 1925 circa
grid reference TL 705 464Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 03/10/2016
The Bell was located close to the river Stour, Barnadiston Arms and the former Kedington brewery. Frank Sainsbury bought the Bell in 1925, with the condition that it would not again be used as licensed premises.
(information from Peter Rowlinson)
A report in the Bury & Norfolk Post & Suffolk Herald** on 26 Aug in 1884 states that :
Clare Licensing Session: Only 2 complaints, one was against the landlord (John Betts) of the Bell Inn, Kedington, for allowing drunkeness on the premises on a Sunday - There had been no previous complaint for 13 years. The landlord attended & guaranteed that the house would be peaceably conducted in the future.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)