Scroll through other Ipswich closed premises
Also may be listed in Fore Hamlet.
Albion St. used to run from John St. to the bottom of Bishop's Hill, joining the latter opposite Cavendish St.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on Aug-07 in 1869 when Tommy Hope was the landlord states that :
"Robert Button a brickmaker offered William Nunn safe passage along Rope Walk, but on their journey Nunn was seized, beaten and robbed. Button claimed he was an unwitting accessory to the crime. However, he admitted to helping the thieves change a sovereign with Tommy Hope the landlord of the small beerhouse called the White Horse. To do this Button purchased half a gallon of beer which they consumed opposite at the gas works."
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Oct 1870 states that :
Abraham Dale’s license to sell beer had been held back because of his earlier conviction of serving beer in the middle of the night to gas work men. Dale assured them he had not drawn beer since out of hours. The license was granted.
last updated 07/11/2014
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)