Scroll through other Ipswich closed premises
A report in the Suffolk Chronicle*** on Feb-27, 1813 gives notice to the creditors of Wm. NORBROOK.
A report in the Suffolk Chronicle*** on Apr-13 1813 gives notice of the auction of bankrupt William Norbrook's goods.
Notice to let the premises is included on Apr-10 1813 Apply to John Cobbold and on Apr-17 1813, Ann NELSON, Son & Co are advertising that coaches are being run from here. This may relate to separate ownership of the transport company.
One authority has the pub standing "in St Lawrence Street, facing the east end of the church". This was one of Ipswich's most ancient inns; one of only 24 listed on a town assessment of 1689. An earlier inn called the George may have stood on this site.
last updated 25/05/2014
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Old inns of Suffolk by Leonard P Thompson)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)