Scroll through other Ipswich closed premises
The Wellington Inn* had a central arched passageway through to the yard at the rear of the premises, as shown in a photograph in "People & Places (A Pictorial History)" by the Ipswich & Norwich Society (2000) on page 14, and on the OS Map of 1883.
The Wellington Inn* was purchased in 1875 as a replacement for the original Co-Op that was located at No 34 Carr st, (now used as a furnishings shop). The inn was used for a while (particularly the meeting rooms away from the retail frontage) but was demolished prior to 1886 when the new Co-Op Central Premises (Drapery Store) opened.
This may have been another name for the Duke of Wellington.
last updated 03/10/2014
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(* many thanks to John Norman, Chairman of The Ipswich Society, for his clarrification of the location and fate of this building)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)