Ipswich Waggon and Horses
previously known as Waggon Inn
opened 16th cent
grid reference TM 163 445
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 22/07/2015
The inn was replaced by the Ritz cinema which opened in 1937. The site is now used by British Home Stores.
This premises are listed in the 1844 White's Directory with carriers operating from the inn to Bentley, Boxford, Burgh, Bury St Edmunds, Chelmondiston, Copdock, Elmsett, Ewarton, Grundisburgh, Hadleigh, Harwich, Manningtree, Nayland, Newton, Oakley, Shotley, Stowmarket, Sudbury, Stutton, Tattingstone, Witnesham, and Woodbridge.
The Town Wagon was a weekly 16th century coach from here to London. One early proprietor Robert Lane, was the originator, builder and driver of the Ipswich-London stage-waggon. He was recognised and rewarded for his pioneering work by Elizabeth I who recorded in the great Court Book in 1582 that he had had the bestowal of the freedom of the borough upon him and the bestowal of the right to have the only trade of wagons within the towne for a period of 10 years.
A reference in the Ipswich Journal*** on 2 to 9 July 1726 to Isaac Cundall at the Wagon, Ipswich.
A reference in the Ipswich Journal*** on 28 Apr 1733 to the Waggon in the Butter-Market, Ipswich (In September the paper names the landlord as Daniel Heckford)
A notice in the Ipswich Journal** in May 1805 states that :
A notice placed in the May Ipswich Journal stating that Robert Ellis begs leave to return his grateful thanks to his friends and customers in general, for the liberal encouragement he has met with. He wishes to inform them, he has now for sale, a large stock of spirituous liquors, which he is now selling wholesale and retail; also exceedingly good bottled London Porter.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 20 May in 1840 states that :
On 18th May, Mr Charles Maidwell, eldest son of Mrs FREWIN, of the Waggon & Horses, Ipswich, married, Mrs Ann Firmin of the same place
Jonas Chaplin was innkeeper here in 1851. Richard and Thomas Lane were still waggoners of the towne some 18 years later.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on Mar-23 in 1861 when Emily Turner was landlady states that she was witness in a case where 19s was stolen from a customer at the Castle public house in Ipswich.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on Dec-7 in 1878 when George Wright was landlord states:
The Ipswich & Suffolk Licenced Victuallers Association banquet was held at the Waggon & Horses, Old Butter Market. The banquet was well served by George Wright Waggon & Horses, Mr Last of the Mulberry Tree and Mr J Richardson of the Tankard.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(census information from Dudley Diaper)
(detailed information by Linda Edwards)
(detailed information from Old inns of Suffolk by Leonard P Thompson)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)