Ipswich Victoria Hotel (Victoria Tap Hotel)
previously known as Victoria
closed 1928 (about)
last owner catchpole
25 Berners St
grid reference TM 159 449
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 19/03/2016
The building dates from the early or mid 19th century.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 17 Mar in 1849 states that :
The Victoria Inn, situate in one of the most respectable Streets in the town of Ipswich; all that free public house...5 sitting-rooms, bar, kitchen, store-room & pantry, 11 bedrooms, Capital cellar, coal & wood houses, small brewery & good yard, with a carriage entry from the street. Property is freehold & well supplied with water. The Proprietor, Mr BACON, is about relinquishing the business. Ale upon the premises, Berners Street.
(This notice conflicts with another notice on 28 Apr 1849...Victoria Inn, Berners Street, Ipswich. Mr BACON thanks customers at King's Arms Inn, Cornhill during his 7 years residing there & confirms he has moved to the Victoria.)
A report in the Suffolk Chronicle*** on 14-Jan in 1860 revealed that :
Thomas JARMAN of The Victoria, Berners Street, Ipswich charged with knowingly harbouring prostitutes. PC Norman went to the Ballroom and saw several people dancing, amongst them being some prostitutes. He went and spoke to the landlady and afterwards saw 10 or 15 prostitutes in another room. The defendant was cautioned. A great many complaints had been made of the house, and of the disturbance there was when those who had frequented it left, sometimes as late as 2 O'clock in the morning. Defendant said he had been ill in bed. Found guilty and fined 40s plus costs.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 11 May in 1855 states that :
To be let, the Victoria Public House, Berners Street, Ipswich (No owner/tenant noted)
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 13 Oct in 1855 states that :
Auction of the Victoria Inn, Ipswich, with adjoining Dwelling House, occupied by Mr R.J. CHAPLIN, a quarterly tenant. The Public House is at present, unoccupied.
An advert in the The Bury and Norwich Post**** on Tue 13 March 1866 lists this pub as part of the sale of Stonham Brewery together with 26 other premises.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** historical details supplied by Neil Langridge)