Ipswich Union Jack Inn
grid reference TM 166 440
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 19/11/2015
Also listed as being in New Quay (1844) and Quay side (St peters dock). From 1874 listed at dockside.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** of March 1860 states that :
To be Sold By Auction. 15th March 1860. Adjoining the premises known as "Webber's Quay" at Ipswich, abutting upon the wet dock. Lot 2 comprises the "Union Jack Inn" with premises etc., in the present occupation of Mr H Jenkins. Also, the commodious bonding vaults and stores adjoining.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in July 1865 states :
To be sold by auction, a desirable and valuable freehold mercantile property, comprising of a full licensed public house and premises known as the Union Jack Inn, having commodious, domestic, and trade accommodation, and well adapted for carrying on a large business. Also premises adjoining, to the west to the above, a brick and tiled warehouse and stores. Also the Quay, having a length of about 56ft, with exclusive right of wharfage, and a right of building over the same, upon columns or otherwise.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(census information from Dudley Diaper)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)