Bury St Edmunds Ram
24 & 25 Eastgate St
grid reference TL 859 645
View in Google Earth
last updated 11/04/2015
Demolished 1971. Location ascertained from the 1885 OS map at the Bury Record Office.
Also listed at 22 and 24a Eastgate St.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jul 1875 states :
To be sold by auction, by the instructions of the Trustees of the late Robert Mulkin, Esq., at the Angel Hotel, Bury St. Edmundâ€™s, the Ram Inn, in Eastgate Street, at Bury St. Edmundâ€™s.NOTE: Mulkin also owned Bradfield Combust Manger, Bury Bushel, Bury Castle, Bury Coach and Horses, Bury Duke of Edinburgh, and Bury Three Tuns.
A report in the Essex Standard** on Mar-23 in 1877 when James Alderton was the landlord reports that :
"James Alderton was found not guilty of receiving stolen malt to the value of £3 10s the property of Messers Greene & Son"
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)