grid reference TM 165 444Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 15/09/2017
Ipswich Tankard Inn
also traded as as: Theatre Tavernhistorical era: mid 20th century
opened 1736 (rebuilt 1802)
closed September 20th, 1961
last owner cobbold
13 Tacket St
The Tankard was demolished to allow the road to be widened. The license was surrendered in 1961.
During the Second World War, the Tankard was designated for white GIs under US Jim Crow rules, their black compatriots having the Bluecoat Boy.
It was called the Theatre tavern when the Theatre Royal stood alongside. Later the theatre was replaced by a Salvation army citadel (now also demolished).
The street appears to have been renumbered at times to take account of the many demolitions and realignments along the north side.
It's listed as a theatre bar in 1865, 1869 and 1874.
The pub is shown on this OS town plan of 1884.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from Ipswich licensing records.
(census information from Dudley Diaper)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and Natural History)