Ipswich St Edmund's Head
previously known as: St Edmunds Innhistorical era: mid 20th century
1 Curriers Ln
grid reference TM 160 445Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 23/08/2016
Also listed at The Mount. The Mount ran roughly from what's now the east end of Handford Rd. through to the junction of Elm St. and Black Horse Lane.
Listed in the Borough Police licensed premises register 1903-1923, so evidently closed after 1923.
An advert in the Ipswich Journal** on Feb-17 in 1855 states that :
Advert: Beerhouse for sale on the corner of Elm Street and Curriers Arms Lane consisting of a brick built and tiled dwelling. The House is licensed for the sale of beer and known as St Edmunds Head. Let upon a lease to Edward Greene at a rental of £23 per annum. Also a comfortable cottage adjoining lately in the occupation of Mr Roberts. The small triangular piece of land in front of the beerhouse is included in the sale.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(census information from Dudley Diaper),br>(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)