Ipswich Steam Brewery Inn
previously known as Brewery Inn
39 Upper Brook St
grid reference TM 164 444
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 07/02/2016
Grade 2 listed building dating from the early 19th century.
Called Steam Brewery tap when owned by Victorian brewer Charles Cullingham, who set-up a brewery to rear of pub.
Called the Brewery Inn after being acquired by Tollemache (after 1887) and later used as offices.
Now semi-derelict, containing a retail unit.
1879 Kelly's Directory records Charles Cullingham & Co. at Steam Brewery, Upper Brook Street; maltings, London Rd. & Friars Rd.
1881 census records Charles Cullingham (Brewer & Maltster, Head/Married/60/born Ipswich) at 115 London Rd., with his family.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(census information from Dudley Diaper)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
Closure date from Borough Police records.