Ipswich St Clements Ale Stores
previously known as Sailor's Rest, Norwich Arms
last owner cobbold
68 Fore St
grid reference TM 167 441
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 13/10/2015
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on Feb-12 in 1881 when Emma Dalby was the landlord states that :
St Clements Ale Stores was near the Pilot & 100yds from the Steam Packet Tap.
Joseph Wilson and Mary Squirrell were lovers, she was married but separated from her husband but nevertheless her parents disapproved of their relationship After an afternoon in the St Clements and the evening in the Welcome Stranger the two lay down on the quay and rolled into the water. Wilson was saved but Mary drowned and he was charged with wilful murder, found guilty and sentenced to death.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Sep 1870 states that :
Aaron Ribbans was applying for a license to sell spirits, his house had never been open on a Sunday and he still had no intention of changing that. He wanted a license so he could supply farmers and others with whom he had an extensive connection. He had bought the house, which was assessed at £30. Application refused.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)