Ipswich Smackhistorical era: Victorian or Edwardian
31 Key St
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 17/07/2015
Street numbering indicate that the pub was two properties to the west of the Bull at 35.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in May 1835 states :
Married on the 27th May 1835, Mr Edward Goodwin, grocer, Tavern Street, to Mary Ann, eldest daughter of Mr Hardee, Smack Inn, Common Quay, Ipswich.
Also listed at Common Quay (in 1839), and at Quay Street (in 1844)
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Sep 1840 states :
To be let with immediate possession, the old established Smack Inn, situated opposite the Common Quay and in full trade. The only reason for the proprietor leaving is in consequence of his ill health.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Oct 1850 states :
To be sold by auction, on the premises, the Smack Inn, Quay Street, Ipswich, without reserve, the neat household furniture, china, glass, earthenware, Bagatelle Board, and other effects of Mr W Harrington, Innkeeper, who is leaving the house; comprising an excellent set of Spanish mahogany Trafalgar chairs, mahogany Pembroke and other tables, carpets, sofa, French bedsteads and beds, wardrobe, wash stands and other requisites; a quantity of glass, dinner service, china, tea set, mugs, earthenware; set of nearly new skittles, etc.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)