Woodbridge Half Moon
previously known as Half Moon & Star
closed July 16th, 1909
45 Cumberland St
grid reference TM 270 488
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
last updated 31/08/2015
Now a private residence. The building dates from the 17th century.
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Half Moon & Star's beerhouse license was issued in 1853.
The license renewal was refused in 1909.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in May 1870 states that :
To be sold by auction, as directed by the mortgagee, a dwelling house with long established and well accustomed bake office and general shop; adjoining and forming part of the same is the Half Moon and Star beer house, situated in Cumberland Street, Woodbridge, with a double frontage of 101ft, in the occupation of Mr William Daniels. Copyhold of the manor of Woodbridge Hasketon, quit rent 8d and land tax of 9s 2d.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from the Woodbridge licensing records.
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)