Ipswich Safe Harbour
opened 1840 circa
45 Borough Rd
grid reference TM 169 442
View in Google Earth
last updated 17/07/2015
Also listed at Dorkin St.
Borough Road was the part of what's now Grimwade Street which ran from Rope Walk to Waterworks Street (now Star Lane.)
As shown on an 1881 map
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 9th July in 1842 states that a capital brewery in Ipswich with residence & inn attached and several well accustomed public houses to be sold at auction by Robert Garrod including the newly errected inn (or public house) called the Safe Harbour, situated in St Clements, Ipswich with dwelling house adjoining.
The 1871 census for Ipswich which shows Walter Hadgraft as Publican at Safe Harbour Inn in Borough Road, St. Clement. His wife Elizabeth was formerly Ann Abbinett born in London.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** in Aug 1880 states that :
Married on the 16th at St Mary-le-Tower, Joshua W , eldest son of Mr J Taylor of the Safe Harbour Inn, to Beatrice S Little of King's Lynn.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information by Karen Mullan)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from John Martin)
(*** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)